Wednesday, September 8, 2010

nothing like a dame

i've been doing a lot of thinking lately about where i want my life to take me, and i realized i've almost entered the beginning stages of settling. this is an important realization in light of my forthcoming move (ONE WEEK!) to new york. i have a great day job, but i'm thinking about it far too much, and in too long term...erm...terms. right.

the fact is, as much as i love working at sunglass hut, i don't want it to be the only thing i ever do. i want to keep it around as a survival job for when i need it, but i've also got to remind myself of what i really want to be, what i really want to do. and that's a performer, an artist, a maker. i think one of the last consequences of the slump i went through senior year was that somehow i got it ingrained, despite all evidence to the contrary, that i wasn't in fact an artist, just a guy who was decent at doing theatre. the fact of the matter is that, yes, while i am indeed a guy who's decent at theatre, i also do have my own artistic sense and vision that i have a right to put forward.

basically, i need to keep in mind what my true goals are. money gets in the way, and while money is good because it keeps me fed and housed, the more i'm finally taking these steps towards independence, the more i need to remember to create.

No comments: